Saturday 10 December 2016

Topsham birds

When Partner-who-loves-tea and I went down to Devon recently we paid a visit to Topsham.  




As well as being a pleasant little town it has a quay on the River Exe.



Delving around in the mud at the water's edge were some Teal.  The first two below are female, the bottom three are male.






A Heron was sitting in the middle of the Exe (as was a Cormorant but for some reason the latter refused to pose properly).


Mallard, pigeons and a Goose were just below us.


While overhead went a small flock of Canada Geese.


But the best sighting from my point of view was a Bar-tailed Godwit.





6 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever come across a bar- (or otherwise)tailed godwit before. It looks similar to what we call an Austernfischer in German, but I think they're not the same species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Hopefully we'll join you out and about next time you visit, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who says mud isn't interesting? The ducks certainly know better. Love the old boat, the ducks and geese but the middle shot of the godwit is a cracker in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bar-tailed Godwit is particularly interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is the heron. He's really on the ball!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive