Wednesday 13 November 2013

Koeksisters

More about a Brief Holiday
On 17th October PWLT and I stopped at Taunton for afternoon tea and were fortunate to find the newly opened Springbok Café. 


It is well worth a visit and its Koeksisters are to die for.



A koeksister (or koe'sister) derives from the Dutch word koekje, which translates to "cookie". There are two popular versions of this South African syrup-coated doughnut, ie. The Sprinbok Cafe serves the Afrikaner version which is a twisted or braided shape (like a plait).  There is also a Cape Malay version which is a spicy treat finished off with a sprinkling of coconut. 


The Koeksister is prepared by deep-frying plaited dough rolls in oil, then dipping the fried dough into cold sugar syrup. Koeksisters are very sticky and sweet and taste like honey.


Koeksisters are of Cape Malay origin, among whom they were known as koe'sisters, apparently suggesting polite gossiping among spinsters. The Afrikaner version is much more syrupy and crisp, while the Cape Malay version is an oval, fried dumpling with a texture more akin to a cake. The dough includes yeast and is spiced with powdered cinnamon, aniseed, cardamom and ginger. It is deep fried, then placed in hot syrup and finally rolled or sprinkled in dried coconut.


11 comments:

  1. What a cute little cafe with a cute name.....love the mugs.
    Okay enough of the sweet treats now CJ, you're teasing me that's what you're doing.
    The Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tart looks tempting too....oh man.....now I feel like baking something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so tempted tp have the Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tart AS WELL as the Koeksisters but PWLTs look suggested it might not be a wise move:

      Delete
  2. What a charming place! You had my attention at "deep fry"! We have pastries that look similar but your goodies have a cooler name! Have a good week and I'll try to keep the snow over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my husband would like these Koeksisters, he is a doughnut fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, every culture seems to have a version of a sweet, fried dough. These sound delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by. I guess I had not added you to my blogroll, because I have not been here (or there) in some time. Of course, I would visit on the post where you talk about food I need to avoid eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you explained what it was. I was read to hit the google bar. I might be able to handle one bite. Any more and I need a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. is that last picture in the green a symbol of your "heart". LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taunton is in Somerset! YAY! I only know that because my in-laws have friends who live there. Now, if they ever go back there, I can tell them to visit this place and they will wonder how I know of it. HA!
    Such modern furniture, was it comfortable?
    You made me think of cookies...everything reminds me of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Kay, you hit on its one weak point. I didn't find the seats very comfortable. I wasn't going to mention it as we all have different ideas on what is comfortable but neither Jo nor I liked them, great though they look.

      Delete
  9. I'd better hurry to scroll away from this post or I'll be regretting giving away the clothes I recently shrunk out of...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive