Monday 18 November 2013

Do you know the Potoo?

Do you know the Potoo?  That sounds more like the sort of question for a children's book introduction than a blog but I guess you are used to this blog being weird by now. 

This is the Potoo....


Potoos (family Nyctibiidae) are a group of near passerine birds related to the nightjars and frogmouths. They are sometimes called Poor-me-ones, after their haunting calls. There are seven species in one genus, Nyctibius, in tropical Central and South America.

These are nocturnal insectivores which lack the bristles around the mouth found in the true nightjars. They hunt from a perch like a shrike or flycatcher. During the day they perch upright on tree stumps, camouflaged to look like part of the stump. The single spotted egg is laid directly on the top of a stump.

The Potoo always looks like surprised or as if it just saw something horrifying.

 (Photos circulating by e-mail and origin unknown.)

14 comments:

  1. The fact that one pupil is larger than the other in that first photo is a little worrisome. It certainly would inspire a children's book, wouldn't it? Not the eyeball thing, but how cute he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I probably look more startled than your bird right now. I have never seen a bird like this one - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would make a wonderful cartoon character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen or heard of this bird. I thought it was a type of owl at first. The eyes are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine that its funny face has inspired several cartoon characters already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But for the fact that I had heard of a Potoo (though couldn't have told you anything about them) I'd have thought this was an elaborate hoax. What floored me, though, was that they can be over half a metre in length.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of a Potoo before but it sure is an intriguing bird. I agree with Adrian it would make a great cartoon character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only had I never heard of it but I had never seen a photo of one either. They look curiously primeval. And disguising themselves as a tree stump must be rather hard with those eyes. I am half wondering if you have somehow made this up with photo fakery. But you wouldn't do something like that... woudl you? I am sure Terry Pratchett would love Potoos, by the way ! L:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jenny, I didn't make them up, honestly! I've never seen a potoo but I have seen and photographed a frogmouth in the zoo. They are equally weird.

      Delete
  9. It certainly looks (and sounds) like a it came right out of a children's book. And may I point out its relationship to 'nightjars' and 'frogmouths' does not add immediate credibility either ... Well at least to me it sounds like you could have just made those up as well!... LOL (You did your job well, though. Writing articles in Wikipedia and all!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would make you wonder if this isn't a very cleverly put over prank. Done correctly, a children's book about these could give Tacky the Penguin a run for the money!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fascinating post, CJ. I would guess that the reason the potoo looks so surprised is that he can see whether that man in front of him is carrying a camera or a gun! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of it and not sure I like the look of it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive