Wednesday 4 May 2011

May 4th 1942

Edith Velmans, a 17 year old Dutch Jewish girl, wrote in her diary:-
"We're all wearing our yellow stars. I can't stop laughing,. I can't help it. It's such a hoot, this star business. You hear the most ridiculous stories, and the jokes are making the rounds faster than the rumours. The people wearing the stars are greeted warmly by strangers, people take of their hats to you in the street, make all sorts of comments like "Keep your chin up" - it's wonderful. Today apparently even a German soldier greeted Father. I had sewn mine on my scarf, you are not suppsed to, but I'll just wait until someone says something about it. Everybody was incredibly nice at the Distribution Office. Someone said to me, "Why don't you take that silly thing off? Throw it away!" It really is a hoot."
(Edith Velman later hid with a Christian family and survived the War.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's one way of looking at it... actually, I am quite speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - it does rather defy comment!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive