Tuesday 4 January 2011

Poor Jo has gone back to work so it's just me and my computer today. Richard being asleep in his den at the moment.

I was short of a blog topic this morning but I felt I really ought to let everyone know I'm still alive and kicking (at least today's heart scan says I'm alive and if I find who has taken the sellotape from its rightful place again there might be a kicking!). I had this bright idea. I thought I would put "blog ideas" into Google and see what came up.

How about the list which included "Social Media Marketing vs Traditional Marketing", "If I Worked for a Venture Capital Firm","The Difference Between Fark and Truemors", "Ning Sites I Like and Why". Fark? Truemors?? Ning??? I'm obviously in a different world.

Tried another one...
"Use PLR Articles - PLR stands for Private Label Rights which means you buy a set of articles in your niche for a few dollars and then change that article to suit you writing style." You writing style??

And a third which gave me - "Create a post that incorporates the words, 'desperate' and 'futile'." The answer - I don't think I'm desperate enough to continue with this futile exercise!!!

So what can I tell you about the first few days of the New Year? I have mainly been reading, sitting by the fire watching episodes of 'Downton Abbey' and researching a book I am writing. It is set in 1874 so I am finding out all I can about life in those days. Great fun. The problem, as Canadian Chickadee will confirm, is not so much in the writing as in the effort of pushing it around to prospective agents / publishers. That is the difficult, boring and tiresome bit. In the meantime, I am happily doing the fun bit - writing it.








6 comments:

  1. So you're time travelling and writing a book! Well, that sounds like a big New Year's resolution (or maybe it goes back a bit further than that?) To me that sounds more demanding than blogging, but I guess that depends on how the inspiration flows... I wish you luck with it!

    I have recently moved both my major blogs to new addresses; but you'll find links from the old ones, should you care to pay a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same world as you, apparently, as so much of what's going on, doesn't make a lot of sense to me! Our language and reality are changing so fast on some levels, it's hard to keep up. Or do we really WANT to?

    I haven't been here in awhile so I thought I'd drop by and wish you a happy and healthy new year.

    BTW, I too have written some novels but the LONG process of researching and querying publishers swayed me to move to doing my art, as I had been let it go. I just couldn't see spending all my time trying to MARKET my books! Though invited to submit again by a few major publishers, I could not take the cumbersome and expensive waiting game for another month!

    I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy new year! it seems i've been working all year or at least since my birthday! (31dec). it's been sort of blog lite at my place since then. i'm rambling/babbling now, but it's just tuesday and i should be mentally better soon... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fark, Truemore and Ning sounds like the name of a lawyer firm - I can just picture all three of them: Fark is a balding, rotund man with red cheeks and prone to high blood pressure; his partner Truemore is tall, lean and always impeccably dressed in 3-piece-suits, while Ning is a surprise for everyone who gets in touch with the firm for the first time: she is relatively young, very pretty and of Chinese origin, and extremely clever and good at her job.
    Anyone feel like spinning the thread any further? Could be fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to help push it round the publishers - we're hoping to do it for Ian's Dads books anyway.

    Also if you want an editor at any point (bearing in mind that your English is already better than mine) then I'm happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Helen, for both offers. I shall certainly need a 'reader/editor' to go through it to see what they think and make suggestions for improvements.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive