Wednesday 26 May 2010

Wednesday Wildlife - Camouflage

Some of my favourite moths are not the brightly coloured ones but those which are brilliant at blending into the background. Here are a few examples.


Shuttle-shaped Dart


Did you spot it?


Powdered Quaker


Peppered Moth


Oak Hook-tip


Riband Wave


Brussels Lace


One of the Rustics (Square-spot Rustic?)


And best of them all - the Purple-shouldered Thorn.



Did you spot it?  Can you see it now?


Even this Lime Hawk-moth has colours and a pattern which forms a camouflage on the right background.



4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! These are such impressive photos, my friend and moths. I am in amazement over both. Greatly done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even afte seeing the second photo I had great difficulty spotting the moth in the first photo.

    Over the years you have tought me to appreciate moths (and many other things). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are AMAZING! I am always so open mouthed wide eyed at nature and how it just takes care of itself in every single situation. Some of these are master pieces! I loved this post! Boy oh boy I learned a great science lesson today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post - classy images! I saw them all, but am in amazement that YOU did.
    This reminds me of that example of natural selection - the industrial melanism in the peppered moth story.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive