Thursday 15 April 2010

The Church of St Gwyddelan


The Church of St Gwyddelan, Dolwyddelan, North Wales is a hidden gem, just off the main road between Betws-y-coed and Blaennau Ffestiniog. My father’s mother appears on the Dolwydelan census for 1881 and will have been taken to church here – unless she was ‘Chapel’. St. Gwyddelan's Church is not the original Church in Dolwyddelan but nevertheless it does go back to the late fourteen hundreds.


The roof alone makes this a wonderful church.


This part of the roof is what is known as barrel-vaulted.


The design at the bottom of this piece of roofing is of a stylised dragon.


This front pew is inscribed in Welsh as being for the hard of hearing. Medieval customer care at its best!!


A seventh century Celtic bell which hangs from the church roof. Traditionally called Cloch Wyddelan, or St Gwyddelan’s Bell. The bell was dug up on the site of the old church in the 19th Century and is thought to have been brought by St. Gwyddelan from Ireland in the 7th Century.


This is a medieval poor box; subsequently taken over for use for Church Expenses..


The grand 17th century memorial to the Meredith family.


The simple East window.


The South chancel – showing the rustic charm of this church.


A door from around 1500.


And another door dated to around 1500.


This is a sanctuary knocker on the door of the church. Those fleeing justice could grab hold of the knocker and were then safe from pursuit. They would then have to agree to leave Britain, carrying a cross and travelling only on roads to the nearest port where they were to get the earliest possible passage to exile. If no boat was available they had to wade into the water each day until one was.

10 comments:

  1. Wow Scriptor-what an incredible place! It is amazing to think that the church has survived so many centuries in such good shape-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a spectacular church, you can just feel the history steeped within it's walls.
    A hidden gem indeed.
    Thank you for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your British history lessons surpass fascinating!
    ;^)
    Love these photos...I don't know why...reminds me of reading Beowulf in British Literature last semester.
    ;^)
    ANOTHER place to put on my MUST Visit List.
    Thank you, CJ.
    ;^) ;^) ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I have visited there then I can't recall it. Odd. A 'must do' for me if we are ever in the area CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved these pictures; the church is so old and so beautiful in its simplicity that it makes one wonder why we so rarely see new lovely places being built. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting piece of history! Love that old Cloch, and the door knocker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are amazing photographs of a fascinating piece of history. Scriptor, I just started following this blog because I wandered over here, one day, and saw your list of things you love. That had me grinning -- especially the sheep. I love sheep, thanks to a little time, here and there, in the UK.

    I just checked back to see where you're located and realized you're in Cheshire. I may be in Cheshire in June. If so, I'll spend some time perusing your files for ideas of where to spend my time. I've been to Llandudno, many years ago, but we went by train and saw Conwy Castle from the window -- it was just a day trip -- so that's one place I'd like to see. I'm so glad I finally bothered to look at your other blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried to send a comment earlier today, but my machine hates me and it didn't go through. So here goes again.

    It's a lovely set of photos, and great captions. I love old churches, and find them very moving. The idea that people have been spending centuries hoping for better things is very touching. Thanks for another wonderful post.

    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tried to send a comment earlier today, but my machine hates me and it didn't go through. So here goes again.

    It's a lovely set of photos, and great captions. I love old churches, and find them very moving. The idea that people have been spending centuries hoping for better things is very touching. Thanks for another wonderful post.

    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO beautiful. I envy you your close proximity to things Medieval. Here old is 18th century, and REALLY old is 17th C and rare. Hope I get back to the Isles in my lifetime. Thanks for those gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive