Friday 6 February 2009

What is your greatest source of pride?

What is your greatest source of pride?

That was the question posed in C Beth’s Blog the One Minute Writer yesterday.

I once went to an excellent school concert in which both my daughters played a major part and which my elder daughter had helped to organise in the absence of the school’s music teacher who was ill.

On my way out a work colleague (whose daughter also went to the school) said ‘You must be feeling very proud’. My immediate reaction was ‘What a strange thing to say.’ Why should I feel pride? Even upon thinking about it I reached the same conclusion. I am a great believer in how parents behave affecting their children in later life. I also believe that genes are a factor. But above all I believe that each person is an individual whose own abilities and personality are down to them and the choices (conscious and unconscious) that they have made.

As a result, I believe that the behaviour and achievements of my children should be a source of pride to them but not necessarily to me. Mind you, like all parents that doesn’t stop me blaming myself for any poor behaviour or failures on their behalf (not that there any now they’ve grown up and they were pretty rare as children. But then I would say that!).

So, to return to the original question, what is a source of pride to me. There is no doubt that I left my workplace a more customer-friendly and staff-friendly place than when I inherited it. The achievements, efficiency and effectiveness were also improved. Indeed, the fact that it continued to exist at all was partly thanks to me. Of that I am proud. But then pride is one of the seven deadly sins so perhaps I should simply have answered – nothing!

(And yes, it did take me longer than a minute to write that!)

3 comments:

  1. This is an intersting question! My first thought was that I am most proud of my children for the way they have handled their lives, circumstances, and choices, but...
    other than my children, I would have to say I am most proud of my work acheivements also, and that I have had the ability to rise up every day and go to work and never give up! I am thankful that I have had the abilities to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of conquering my demons, took awhile, but I got there in the end, I am a much better woman for it all.

    ps. I never miss reading yours and your brother`s blogs each day - always refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ngaio, I'm not sure I've conquered my demons but if I had I would feel justly proud!
    I've passed on to GB the fact that you enjoy his blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive