Sunday 23 November 2008

G8 agree to cut carbon emissions 50% by 2050

The headline read "G8 agree to cut carbon emissions 50% by 2050". The reality was a bit different - "We seek to share with all parties to the UNFCCC the vision of […] the goal of achieving at least 50% reduction of global emissions by 2050," read the G8 statement released in July this year.

So they "seek to share" a "vision" of a "goal". That's a hard target. Even more uselessly, no reference date was specified: 50% compared to when? 2049?

I wish I was back in the political sphere - I'd love to have written a statement as clever as that! I'll have you know it takes real skill!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive